Friday, October 19, 2012

Another proof point on active listening


At some point we have all been taught to be active listeners. Usually the concept is first formally introduced and practiced in primary school. Teachers set expectations for active listening based on the conventional wisdom that active listening is about the indicators of feedback. So- she teaches her students to make eye contact and track the speaker- take notes- raise your hand and ask questions and make comments. 

As we get older this process continues and we begin to practice active listening, sometimes with argument and debate informally. We expect our leaders to practice it- with even highly televised and structured environments- such as the Presidential debates. Active listening and feedback is embedded in our culture and a lever of our democracy. 

Still, there is something missing from the list of indicators. Perhaps something more subtle, but an indicator that excites most of us more than eye contact, questioning, writing, debate or argument.

When active listening leads to learning and sharing of information- we are most thrilled!

This becomes apparent to me when I reflect on the many conversations I have with parents. We will talk about a variety of things, but at some point I will ask if they feel their child is receiving an excellent education. 
When a parent says yes, I will ask how they know- or they will simply offer the examples. Typically, among the top examples, mom or dad will say, I know this because my son or daughter came home and told me that I can figure out how to find the sum of a number using this short cut, or my child asked me if I knew that I can save about 1.5 pounds of carbon emissions from being released into the atmosphere by walking two miles a day instead of driving. And when mom or dad asks their son or daughter how they knew that. he or she will say, my teacher told me

It is this indicator of active listening- the kernels of information we take away and share with others- that makes us satisfied, validated, and even excited.




No comments:

Post a Comment